Friday, April 13, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I have been a huge fan of Mas Tacos since first visiting the truck at a Tomato Art Festival several years ago.  Up until recently, I was only partaking in the amazing tacos, but I finally got to try the chicken tortilla soup and man am I hooked!!  I have meant to get this post up shortly after the chicken salad as I made the soup with the same rotisserie chicken, but I have been crazy (good) busy!  Well, here is my version of Mas Tacos chicken tortilla soup... it's so close!!


Ingredients:
rotisserie chicken carcass, meat pulled
8 cups water
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
cilantro, to garnish
avocado, to garnish
6 jalapeno, stemmed, seeds removed and sliced
2 limes, juiced, 1/2 reserved for garnishment
6 tortillas, cut into strips
1T poultry seasoning
salt, to taste
freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Method:
Pull all meat off the chicken and set aside.
In a large stock pot, add the carcass, water, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and jalapenos.  Bring to a boil and then take it down to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove carcass from the broth, add pulled chicken, sliced onion and lime juice and simmer until all the flavor come together, about 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the tortillas into strips and bake until crispy @ 375 degrees.
Slice the avocado and cut the cilantro for your garnishment.
When the soup is finished, spoon into your bowls and garnish with your avocado, tortilla strips and cilantro with a squeeze of lime on top. Yum!!





No comments: