Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rosemary and Lemon Roasted Chicken

I hope everyone had a relaxing and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend! I have just returned from a trip to Indiana to spend the weekend with my Grandmother. It was a really nice trip and I am so glad I was able to go! I wanted to share this most amazing sunset, I had forgotten how beautiful it can be!



I am going to share a favorite of mine from the cook book "Easy Summer Food" It is packed with fantastic recipes! I highly recommend getting this one and you can purchase one at Amazon for super cheap!
Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Summer-Food-Simple-Recipes/dp/1841728241

This dish is so simple and delicious! I have made it so many times and it is always a hit!
I usually pair it with roasted potatoes and roasted asparagus. Yummo!
Be sure to get quality ingredients for this dish as it will make all the difference.

Ingredients:

4 lb. Local, organic, free-range chicken breast, cut into peices
3 lemons, cut into wedges (non-waxed) I really love Meyer lemons!
Leaves from a large bunch of rosemary
3 red onions
3/4 cup pitted black olives such as Kalamata or Nicoise (about 10-12)
1/4 cup quality balsamic vinegar
2 T quality extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
A large roasting pan

Serves 4

Directions:

Trim any excess fat from the chicken breast, cut into pieces and put them in a large bowl.
Add the rosemary and wedges of lemon.

Cut the onions in half lengthwise, leaving the root end intact. Cut the halves into wedges and add to the mixture.

Add the olives, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, and mix well to coat the chicken with the flavorings.

Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.

Put the chicken in a large roasting pan and spoon the marinade around it. Cook in a preheated oven at 375 degrees. for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces in the pan for even cooking and coloring, then cook for a further 30 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the oven. Using a slotted spoon, move the mixture to a serving dish. Skim the cooking juices, discarding the fat. Pour the juices over the chicken and serve hot or at room temperature. Enjoy!

Note: you will see in the photo that I used some pads of butter for a bit more flavor... and I LOVE butter. Also, I did not use chicken breast which I do not recommend. It was good, just not as good.
It was just what I had on hand. :)


2 comments:

Jacquelyn Nolen said...

This looks so good!!!

April said...

This looks wonderful! Can't wait to try it.